Friday, March 9, 2012

my last meal

A friend posted on her blog the question as what you would eat for your last meal? I have thought about this all day. What mouth watering, totally scrumptious meal would I feast on? It got me thinking about the comforting meals I ate growing up and haven't ate since I moved out of my parents home. Call it overkill..or kids...or age.

My Mom made Chicken Popeye frequently...boiled chicken pulled of the bone, bubbling in a pot full of broth with rolled and cut flour dumplings then thickened with more flour.  I suppose it is really called Chicken & Dumplings but Popeye is what we called it and that's what it is.
Dried Beef Gravy was another. Nothing different or fancy here. I remember a milky, peppered cream with chipped beef ladled on top mashed potatoes and toast. Mmmm. My mouth yearns for it already.

I love Eggs Benedict. I mean LOVE!

I could devour a casserole size dish of homemade Macaroni & Cheese. Creamy. Cheesy. Crusty edges. These together would be my last meal.

Yet I do not DaRe eat these delicious, memory filled dishes... No, No...These are not what a women in her 30's after 6 kids eats. Nowadays, it green smoothies, 4 cups of spinach blended with almond milk and bananas. A plateful of steamed vegetables and grilled chicken. Unsweetened everything and creamy nothing. Salad stacked high with more vegetables. There's no comfort food here. Maybe in Heaven

1 comment:

  1. Chicken Popeye and Dried Beef Gravy are definitely two of my favorite dishes!

    ReplyDelete