Thursday, May 24, 2012

my relationship with muffulettas

One year ago Zach and I took a trip to New Orleans. It was a quarterly business trip for Zach but I tagged along. We went down 3 days before he needed to be "working" and stayed at a bed and breakfast. The house was beautiful, the host was fantastic, and the food was delicious. The bed and breakfast was north of the French Quarters so we needed to take the public trolley into the Quarters anytime we wanted to sight see or get a bite to eat. Also, the hotel that we were staying out during the business part of the trip was along the bay and walking distance to the French Quarters. Maybe another time I will post the "Nawlens" pictures and details of our trip.


Today I am reminiscing of the Muffuletta sandwich. Mmmm. I had one everyday. The sandwich is served on a round loaf of Italian bread and then piled high with Provolone cheese, Genoa salami and Cappicola ham, and then topped with olive salad – chopped, green olives, pimientos, celery, garlic, onions, capers, oregano, parsley, olive oil, & red-wine vinegar. It's perfectly salty. The sandwich is HUGE! I suppose they are to be shared. No, I didn't eat the whole thing every day! I miss it..might be the only reason I would ever go back to that city. I was remembering my favorite sandwich because yesterday Zach brought me home a Panini (half) from Shoprite. I opened it up today and took my first bite. I was back in New Orleans again except not really. It was suppose to be an Italian Panini but  tasted like my Muffulettas only on a thin bread. Of course, I messaged him and told him how DELICIOUS it was and how it reminded me of Muffulettas. He replied with, "I know. That's why I saved it for you." He is great! He is so sweet! Not only did I get to remember what a fabulous time I had with him one year ago, it also made me think what a great husband he is. Two great thoughts all because of a sandwich.

My favorite Muffuletta sandwich (no, they don't all taste the same) was from the Napoleon House in the French Quarters.



2 comments:

  1. 'Mo-Fo Lettas' is what we call them over here...and man would I love one of those right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to the booths corner market, there is a new Orleans place that has pretty comparable muffuletta there :)

    ReplyDelete