Routine. Excitement. Same ol' thing everyday. Spontaneous. I really can't make up my mind. I remember the days that I could be spontaneous...unplanned adventures...spur of the moment. Now I am all about routine. I know exactly what time I need to eat breakfast so I can have exactly the right minutes to shower. It's the boring, scheduled life I now lead. Who am I trying to kid? Myself? I was NEVER spontaneous or unpredictable or adventurous. I like routine. But the one thing that changes me are all these kids and THEIR unpredictablness (word? maybe not). They throw me curve balls often and keep me on my toes.... or in ambulances.
Listen to how I spent my Friday evening/night...I was doing my normal thing, either emailing or texting someone about nothing important when I heard Sam yell some crazy thing like, "It won't stop!!" or "It keeps coming!!" I knew from the tone of his voice it was serious. I yelled , "Waaaiitttt! I'm in the middle of something." OK, Not really. I actually jumped up and scurried to him (that's a pace between jogging and skipping). When I reached his room he was holding his foot up as blood was gushing from it. I can not put into words how I felt at that moment. Scared. Overwhelmed. I have never saw so much blood squirting from ANYTHING. I grabbed the first article of clothing I saw and wrapped his foot. It would not stop bleeding. In a haze of commotion and panic all I remember is Cara calling 911, me crying/yelling/ to the operator. I'm trying to answer his questions: Is he breathing? (yes, but I 'm NOT!) Is he conscience? (Umm..I think so. I'm ready to pass out!) The operator hangs up (don't believe those movies when they actually stay on the line until the pandemics arrive). Meanwhile, the jeans that I grabbed to wrap his foot are soaked. I knew his foot was falling off. The paramedics arrive. We got to ride in an ambulance. We arrived home 4 hours later after he received GLUE and some stickers. Yes, that's right they GLUED his wound shut and applied stickers over it. I tell ya...stitches have come a long way.
So how did this all happen? Sam ran to his room and slid on a broken picture glass causing a 2-3" shard to go into his foot. It was a perfectly pointed piece of glass which caused a deep wound. It didn't need "stitches". He will be on crutches for a few days and all the family prayers will involve him.


That is a lot of blood! Did all that blood come out of Isaac's jeans? That would be amazing.
ReplyDeleteNope. I didn't even try. Threw away Isaac's jeans, Sam's pants, 2 towels and after I remove the beds and dresser off the rug that will be thrown out too. Though I did clean the blood of the rug it is a painful reminder of when I thought my son was going to bleed to death. ;-)
ReplyDelete