Saturday, April 28, 2012

your name in the box

Back in September I attended Olivia's preschool orientation. During the presentation of daily routine, behavior control tactics, and introductions to the curriculum her teacher introduced the "name in the box". A box that sat on her desk that held names of the children for good behavior. She explained the children got so excited when they got their name in the box. EXCEPT she rarely put anything in the box. She reached into the box and pulled out a name...a student from 2 years ago! Of course, as parents we laughed. It really was the highlight of my evening. Seriously, funny! I came home that evening and giggled as I reiterated the name in the box game to Zach.

For months Zach would tell the kids when they did something extraordinary they received their name in the box. He even gave it a song and chanted it as he announced "Isaac gets his name in the box" or whoevers name. We never had a box. We never put names in a box. The kids knew that. One day, one of the children asked WHAT they received if they got their name in the box. Nothing silly.

Light bulb....

We needed to make a "real" Name in the Box box. When the kids do some unexpected act of service, something kind, some extra chore, or extra (extra!) good behavior, they write their name on a slip of paper along with their good deed. On Sunday morning we gather everyone so they can argue WHO gets to pick the name. Its the best time. Coming together as a family to argue over who sticks their hand in the box and pulls out a little white piece of paper. The winner gets a special reward. Usually a night to get ice cream, water ice, Berri Yummi, we even handed out a small gifts. There has been weeks with 20 slips of paper and weeks with only 3. We make sure we read each slip of paper so everyone knows who did what. Then I ewww and ahhh at how great they were. At least one cries because their name wasn't picked. Good times.

This past week Olivia got her name picked. I don't remember what she did. She's the youngest so her good deeds of kindness usually involve throwing Matthews diaper away or taking out the recycles (Michael's daily chore). She's so cute. I give Zach the opportunity to take the kids out, so I can avoid the extra sugar calories that I definitely don't need. I was Olivias requested chaperon this week. She wanted Ritas Water Ice. I ordered a cup of vanilla/chocolate custard and Olivia got Mint Chocolate Chip cream ice (sound gross? It was. And mint chocolate chip ICE CREAM is one of my favs) Anyway, she took my custard instead. I sat next to her in the back seat of the car as we (she) ate. We talked about her going into Kindergarten next year, her science class, and her upcoming birthday.
By the way, she is having her birthday at Pump It Up, Oasis, and ChuckECheeses. Sounds like a blast. Hopefully, she won't be disappointed with Talley Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment