I have been in self improvement mode lately and have enjoyed the progress I make each week. I have set up work charts for the kids (which work amazing!) and assigned myself 15 minutes each day to get the house together. I have been reading a book called "Fabulous, Fit, and Faithful" which claims to improve my life in 8 weeks, however, I know it will take way longer then that. I was excited to set a holy habit and accomplish it this past week. WOW! What a difference being holy makes in ones' day.
This week I am heading back to the Y to work out. I plan to go everyday, in reality I will be happy to make it twice this week.
My BIG goal this week is fixing the family budget. Here is a list of what I spent this week:
Ashley Bird would be appalled.
Monday:
Goodwill $23.88
Michaels $22.14
Kids Kuts $14.00 (plus 3$ cash tip)
Wendys $7.74
YMCA $2.68
Tuesday:
LL Bean $19.99*
Famous Footwear $78.17*
Wednesday:
Salvation Army $43.42
Walgreens $12.47
Gas $40.00
Friday:
Shoprite $151.01
Kohls $109.57*
Gas $57.01
Target $39.50*
Christmas Tree Shop $43.88
Saturday:
LDS online $79.63 (scriptures for Sams 8th birthday and magazine renewals)
Target $42.38
$790.47
So, let me break this down. I put in red the purchases that were REALLY unnecessary. That total is
$141.06. I put a * by the purchases that were necessary but perhaps I could of shopped around more OR bought cheaper, used coupons, etc. Those included a new book bag for Sam, bras for myself, and new shoes for 3 boys.
I consider myself a wise shopper. I use coupons, online deals, and always look for the best sales. However, this is an eye opener for me. So this week I am going to spend $0 in unnecessary purchases. Sorry, Goodwill, I will not be visiting you this week. Plus, I already spent $35.50 TODAY. (online so no Sabbath breaking)
I will set a food budget (thinking about using only CASH again, more couponing), set a "project" budget, and then take it from there.
Ouch! Yes, it is so scary to discover what you actually spend in a week, let alone a whole month! I am thrilled to see my anal budget tracking is having an effect on others. ;-)
ReplyDeleteMy only tip for you, try and find ways to make saving money fun so that it is a challenge you enjoy instead of feeling like you are going without.
Hope to see you at the Y, we are there usually between 12:30-1:30.