I'm not sure if I am cut out for this teenage stuff. Someone said to me one time that the teenage years were the years they enjoyed the most. I highly doubt it. I haven't even got into the thick of them yet and I am already worn out. Isaac has been pushing his limits. Believe me when I say he definitely is at maximum speed and not slowing down. I'm a bit scared. I hope and pray everyday that he will get through these years safe.
I think back to when I was in 7th grade. I remember it being a tough time. I was usually made fun of because I never really fit in with the "cool" kids. I was the new kid almost every two years so I never went to school with kids I grew up with. I had to make new friends at each school. My mom was a great support and tried her best to make the "bullies" stop. I ended up hanging with friends that may have not been the best influence but they weren't making fun of me. I realize that these middle school years are horrible. Isaac enjoys school and he usually does well with his grades. A few times I had to crack down and threaten to pull him out of school if he EVER gets another D. He's brilliant but lazy. So what side of the line is worse? Maybe for him he's better where he is...just don't let me hear of him making fun of other kids.
I feel like Isaac has found himself in a comfortable spot at school, he has friends, he plays sports, his teachers adore him. I also know that he tries to fit in. Maybe the cool kids all sneak out and have girlfriends. Zach drops Isaac off for school every morning. He said all the kids wear shorts and basketball socks with basket ball shoes. Yes, Isaac is still wearing shorts to school. I tried to fight it for months but then finally gave up. I guess I don't care if he's cold. The cool kids hang out front of the school holding their cups of Starbucks (coffee or not, I don't know). Isaac would get there an hour early just out hang out with his friends.
Is this normal? I didn't expect these behaviors until 15 or 16 at the earliest. Not 12.
I can't dwell on the negative things only, I try to remind myself he has a lot of great qualities. I am thankful for Isaac and really could not imagine life with out him, good or bad. I hope to look back at this one day and laugh. Or cry. I'm not sure which yet.
No comments:
Post a Comment