Matthew tested positive RSV a couple of weeks ago and was admitted to AI Dupont Children's Hospital. But he's all better now. The end.
Just kidding....
This is Matthew and I in the ER, he looks pretty normal so I was a bit shocked when the ER pediatrician said they were admitting him for a night or two.
RSV is a lung infection that affects the bottom portion of the lungs (unlike pneumonia which affects the top), usually affecting children under 2. If over 2 is comes out as cold/flu symptoms. Matthew had no cough. No running nose. He developed a fever the Saturday before which broke with medicine then returned again. Because there weren't additional symptoms I did not worry about him and was letting his body heal itself. Wednesday morning he woke up with heavy short breathing so I took him to the Urgent Care Center. When the doctor there checked his blood oxygen level, they told me it was too low and I need to go to the ER. A healthy child should have 100% oxygen levels in the blood, Matthew had 88% at the UCC and 87% at the ER. Still a little unsure of what this all meant, I was informed later that the brain is being deprived of oxygen..well, duh! Yep, I am a new Mom here. Even with oxygen being supplied Matthew slept at only 91-93% so we had to be admitted. Anything under 90% was..well dangerous.
RSV is a 7-10 day virus with the worst part being in the middle of the strain. Highly contagious but only 3-4 days before symptoms begin (sorry anyone who was around us during that time).
He got worse the longer we were there so I am glad the pediatrician saw fit to keep him. Oh, and did I mention we were in ISOLATION? Basically, we had stricter rules regarding visitors and anyone and everyone coming in had to wear a mask and hospital gown and gloves.
Though he is sitting and looking not so sick, he was very sick and laid in our arms or in the crib all day and night. So keeping him happy and contained wasn't a problem. He didn't eat for 4 days and would only drink fluids from a WAWA cup and straw but he was drinking. We didn't care what or how he got liquids we just wanted him to get them because the nurses weighed his diapers to make sure he wasn't dehydrated. They would wake him up in the middle of the night to change his diaper, which just made him mad.
Don't let the cute smile fool you. He just ripped his oxygen out and the machines were all beeping. He is a stinker! He hated the tubing and monitors hooked to him. It was all we could do to keep them on and in. He objected every time he had his temperature taken or a nurse came near him with that darn stethoscope. Matthew needed Albuterol treatments with a Nebulizer. This was the worst thing ever! to Matthew of course, to me it looked painless and maybe quite invigorating, like a mini facial.
We went to the ER Wednesday morning, he was admitted in the afternoon, and the above picture is Thursday evening. He seemed to be feeling better so we gave him a ball to throw and a few toys.. He still needed to sleep without oxygen before he could be sent home. He had a constant high fever too.
It was a difficult time of course. We never had a child admitted to a hospital and though I had the up most confidence in AI and the staff there, it was very difficult to see my precious little boy sick. I knew he would get better but it made me thankful for the health my children have. My deepest thoughts go out to those parents that deal with sick children on a continuous basis.
I am so thankful for friends and family that came to our rescue. My mother in law who dropped her plans for 2 nights to be at the house with the other kids, She cooked them dinner, cleaned, took them to their activities and wash, dried, and folded at least 20 loads of laundry. Our friends and family were in constant concern and I don't think an hour went by that I didn't hear from someone. I had friends offering to come sit with me so I wouldn't be alone, another offered to take my kids for the evenings, and others offered dinner. I am so grateful for them!
I am thankful for Christina who is so sweet and thoughtful. She left this under my van (in the parking lot) after I told her I needed something deep fried and covered in chocolate...a 1/2 dozen of chocolate covered donuts and hot chocolate with this note. (I just wonder what the other people were thinking as she crawled under my van with a pile of food?) AND brought me a salad from Salad Works because, try as they may, the cafeteria food was just gross.
Cafeteria instant potatoes, green beans (which were the best part) and some type of meatloaf. This was Matthews dinner but since he wasn't even eating I would try and order something I would eat. I couldn't eat it. It was gross.
Matthew is 100% back to normal. We are all excited!










No comments:
Post a Comment